End Of The Week SLP Blues-Mother's Day Edition

Mother's Day is right around the corner.  I wanted to make sure my students thanked their mom the way they deserve to be thanked!  Here are some ideas to help your kids create a thank you (click on the title to see original post):

Language:

Social Story About Mother's Day
Use this to introduce your activities. 

Descriptive Words + Picture of Mom
This activity was supposed to be for math, but I think it would be great to use in speech.  Each student has to go to different stations where they have to ask for items, how much does it cost etc.  Then they can explain to the group how they made their picture of mom. 

Mother's Day Step Book
This would be cute if you had the topic of "Thank you Mom for..." and then each step of the book had something the child was thankful about regarding their mom. 

Mother's Day Sequencing Activity
This particular idea has a favorite recipe from your mom, but you could have the kids come up with and sequence their "Perfect Day With Mom."

My Mom Has...
Thought this was really cute.  Have the kids draw pictures of their mom and then talk about "My mom has feet to dance with me.", "My mom has arms to wrap around me and hug me." etc. 

Mother's Day Newspaper
This is a fun fill-in-the-blank activity

Mother's Day Adjective Flower
I feel like I should make my mom this craft! She'd still put it on the fridge or up at work guaranteed! I can see it now...." Did your granddaughter make this for you?", "No, my daughter in her late twenties!"-Love you Mom



Articulation:

Mother's Day Acronym
If you're feeling optimistic then you could do this activity with your older kids.  Have them come up with words that have their sound in it, that also describes their mom.  Then figure out if the words have the letters to make up the word "Mother" or maybe just "Mom"....don't want you all pulling your hair out or anything.


My Mom Is...
Just use the first part of the last page in this download and work on descriptive words and/or descriptive words that have specific articulation targets in them. 
If you want to get more creative with this idea you could make this cute ice cream cone

Love You To Pieces Card
This might be seriously reaching for it, but you could get newspapers or magazines and have your students cut out items that have their sound in it.  Then they have to glue all the pictures into the shape of a heart for the card.  This is one of those gifts that only a mother of a child with a speech impairment could love.  J

Apps:
I Love Mom Picture Book-free










This book has wonderful pictures and you can even change the words and record your own book to go along with the pictures.  This would be great for you language kids.  They can re-create the story that goes along with the pictures. 




I would just like to say that I have been so touched by the emails I've received from mom's out there that do everything they can to help support their kids and their speech and language development.  You guys are amazing and your children are extremely lucky to have you. 

Happy Mother's Day

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking to our Mother's Day Card!

    -Jaime from Wayward Girls' Crafts

    ReplyDelete