Why I Do What I Do

I’m often asked how I got interested in speech and language pathology.  To tell you the truth, I grew up wanting to be an architect.  I interned at an architecture firm, took AutoCAD and interior design in highschool, started out my time at K-State as an architecture major.  Needless to say, I didn’t last very long in that architecture program.  I hated the fact that I was stuck in studio for entire days not talking to anyone and drawing line after line after line.  When I called my parents to tell them I was dropping out of that program I got the obvious question “Well what do you want to do then?” I had no clue.  I looked into classes and found Intro to Communication Sciences and Disorders.  My youngest cousin struggled with Apraxia as a child and my aunt Sharon, being the go-getter, I shall conquer all, woman that I look up to, started the network for parents and professionals to get information related to Childhood Apraxia of Speech.  You may know it as CASANA or have used the website www.apraxia-kids.org.  If any of you have had the pleasure of meeting her you can see the passion she has to help children and parents.  She's my aunt so I can brag on her, right?!
So back to the story, I took this intro class and loved it.  I loved the anatomy, the physiology, the medical side of it all.  I went through the rest of my 3 years really enjoying all my SLP classes.  Then it was time for graduate school.  I don’t like to admit this, but I didn’t get into any of the schools I applied to my first go-round.  I was heartbroken. Every time one of those letters arrived in my mailbox, I felt like I needed “REJECT” tattooed on my forehead.  I felt defeated like maybe being an SLP wasn't in my cards.  What was I going to do now? So being the planner, like all SLPs tend to be, I needed a plan of attack for the next year.  Would I just hang around and re-apply in the winter? That was not an option financially, so I applied for a para-professional job in the public schools.  I got a call for an interview, and as it turns out it was the elementary school that I went to as a child.  A little girl at the school needed a 1:1 and I was lucky enough to get the job.  Still being disappointed that I wasn’t starting graduate school with my peers, I didn’t realize that this was the best possible thing that could have ever happened to me.  If there is such a thing as soul mates, I found one of mine in Elizabeth.  Elizabeth and I were inseparable and not just because we had to be. 


Elizabeth has cerebral palsy, is in a wheelchair, has a feeding tube and is non-verbal.  Elizabeth also has the greatest smile, best laugh and can make a bad day better with a simple trusting look in the eyes.  I cannot even begin to tell you everything Elizabeth taught me.  If I had to name a few, they would be compassion, patience, hope, gratitude, the hilarity of hitting myself in the head and of course the many things I learned by going with her to OT, PT, speech etc.  I now look back on my “reject” year and wonder if I would be the same person I am today without the opportunity to work with the wonderful people I worked with, and the wonderful child I worked with.  My “reject” year to me now is known as my “lucky” year.  If I didn’t believe in things happen for a reason, I sure do now.  The next year I did get into graduate school, and I can’t help but think that my experience helped me get into those schools.  Elizabeth continues to be a big part of my life.  I may not physically see her everyday, but I have pictures of her up in my classroom and I think of her everyday.  Anytime I get frustrated with my job and all the paperwork piled up on my desk I remember why I do this everyday.  I’m helping children communicate, something so many people take for granted.  While we might not make all the money in the world, we can go home each day knowing that we’ve helped a child get a voice of their own.  That’s huge! 
I think every SLP has at least one student that has changed their life and inspired them.  For me it was Elizabeth, and I’m so grateful to her and her wonderful family.  So here is a big thank you to all the people that got me to this place, and thanks to Elizabeth for inspiring me everyday and teaching me so much. 

7 comments:

  1. Hey Liz, I too was rejected in my first application to grad school and spent a year as a parapro in a school for special education students. It not only sealed the deal as far as helping me know what I REALLY wanted to do, but gave me a leg up in being able to think about how I'd apply what I was learning in grad school to the "real world" because I had been there! Your blog is great, what a credit to the profession -- I'm glad you persisted in re-applying to grad school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! I'm kind of geeking out right now knowing that Ruth Stoeckel looked at my blog, :) such an honor!

      I'm glad to know that there are others out there that had the same experience, and I think you're right that having that experience ultimately gave me a leg up in grad school. I was able to apply the things I was learning to actual situations I had experienced.

      Thank you for the comment!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. Hey Liz, I just wanted to thank you for such an inspiring and beautiful post. I also majored in Communication Sciences and Disorders, and received many rejection letters from grad schools my first go around. I thought my life was over and was in a pretty bad place after that happened. I ended up getting a 1:1 position, as well, and am thankful for it every day as it opened my eyes to what I wanted to do and pushed me even further. Your post made me feel even more comforted knowing others did the same.

    Thanks so much, and best of luck with everything! I'm glad to hear everything worked out even better than we expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it worked out with you as well! Sometimes those bumps in the road lead us to the actual path we should be on :)

      Delete
  3. I was rejected from EVERY school on my first go around. I took a year off as well and I am so thankful for that year every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish that 6 years ago I would have known that I wasn't the only person this happened to! I agree though, I'm thankful for that experience everyday!

      Delete
  4. Hey liz, really nice blog :) Did you end up getting LOR's from your profs only or slp's?

    ReplyDelete